White Chocolate Butterscotch Oatmeal Bars
Yield: 24 bars
For the Crust:
1 ½ cups packed dark brown sugar
2 ½ sticks butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup brown rice flour
¾ cup sweet rice flour
½ cup tapioca flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups quick cook Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free oats
For the Filling
1 (12-ounce) package white chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups butterscotch sauce
2 tablespoon brown rice flour
2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. For the crust, cream together the brown sugar, butter, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a standing mixer.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together brown rice flour, sweet rice flour, tapioca flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt. Add these dry ingredients slowly into the mixer bowl. Once fully incorporated, slowly add the oats. Mix together on medium speed until well combined.
4. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan and press half of the dough into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for five minutes.
5. For the filling, sprinkle all of the white chocolate chips over the entire surface of the semi-baked dough.
6. Heat the butterscotch sauce in the microwave for 20 seconds. Stir the brown rice flour, sweet rice flour, and cornstarch into the sauce and stir until well combined. Drizzle the butterscotch mixture over the white chocolate chips.
7. Crumble the remaining dough over the top of the filling. Make sure the top is completely covered with dough.
8. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing into bars. Serve with a glass of milk.
Mon, December 12, 2011
by Vanessa Maltin Weisbrod filed under