Homemade Honey Energy Bars
Yield: 9 servings
1 cup rolled oats, certified gluten-free
1 cup unsweetened puffed rice cereal, certified gluten-free
¼ cup slivered almonds
¼ cup sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon flax seeds
1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup apricots
¼ cup unsweetened coconut
¼ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup light brown sugar
¼ cup honey
½ teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a large baking sheet, spread out rolled oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, and coconut. Toast for 5 minutes, mix and stir around ingredients to make sure nothing burns, and bake for an additional 5 minutes before removing from oven.
2) Transfer ingredients to a large bowl and add puffed cereal, cherries, raisins, and apricots. Stir to combine.
3) Heat a small saucepan to medium-low; melt butter, brown sugar, honey, vanilla, and salt. Stir frequently until the mixture starts to lightly bubble, about 3-5 minutes.
4)Remove mixture from heat and immediately pour into large bowl with nuts and cereal. Stir well to coat evenly.
5) Spray 8x8 inch square pan on all sides with cooking spray. Pour mixture from bowl into pan, cover with waxed paper and press down to even out the top. Remove wax paper.
6) Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until firm. Cut into 9 pieces, and enjoy.
Fri, March 2, 2012
by Maureen Stanley filed under