Delight Associate Editor Maureen Stanley wants to share an egg-cellent (and tasty) activity to make with young ones! She bakes this adorable Easter bunny cake each year with her kids (her 10 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with celiac disease).
What a perfect finale to your egg hunt party or holiday meal!
Easter Bunny Cake with Cream Cheese & Coconut Icing
Yield: 10 - 12 servings
2 (15-ounce) boxes of Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Yellow Cake Mix
2 sticks (1 cup) butter (softened)
4 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/3 cups water
3 containers of Betty Crocker Rich and Creamy Gluten-Free Cream Cheese Frosting
3 (14-ounce) bags of sweetened shredded coconut
Pink food coloring
Blue food coloring
Gluten-free jelly beans
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottoms and sides of two 9-inch round cake pans with butter or olive oil spray.
- In large bowl, beat cake mixes, butter, vanilla, eggs, and water with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour evenly into pans.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Place one cake in center of large platter for bunny’s head. Place other cake on cutting surface; cut two football-shaped pieces from each side of cake to use for ears. Place ears on top of bunny’s head. Place remaining piece under bunny’s head for bow tie.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons frosting. Frost entire cake--except insides of ears--with remaining frosting. To reserved frosting, stir in 1 drop pink food color; frost insides of ears with pink frosting.
- In a small food-storage plastic bag, shake 1/2 cup of the coconut with 1 drop blue food color. Carefully sprinkle blue coconut over bunny’s bow tie.
- Sprinkle remaining (un-dyed) coconut all over bunny’s head and edges of ears, leaving centers of ears pink.
- Make whiskers, eyes and mouth with jelly beans. Use gumdrops for the nose and bow tie buttons.
From our Delight family to yours, enjoy your Happy Easter!
Learn more about Maureen at her Hold The Gluten site! Check out Maureen and Delight's Editor Vanessa Maltin Weisbrod Hold The Gluten Podcast featuring all topics on living life gluten-free.
Fri, April 6, 2012
by Maureen Stanley filed under