Fried Goat Cheese with Spicy Honey Drizzle
Yield: 6 servings
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Nut-Free, Corn-Free
10 ounces goat cheese
1/3 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg, beaten with a splash of water
1 ¼ cups gluten-free bread crumbs
¼ cup honey
¼ teaspoon hot pepper flakes, finely crushed
Vegetable oil, for frying
- Cut the goat cheese into 16 even pieces. Roll into 1-inch sized balls. Place on a baking sheet covered with waxed paper and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Combine gluten-free flour and salt in a shallow bowl. Place egg and water mixture in another bowl, and the gluten-free bread crumbs in a separate shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Stir together honey and hot pepper flakes- set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of vegetable oil to 375 degrees F.
- Once the cheese is out of the freezer and is no longer sticky, roll the balls into the flour mixture and shake off excess.
- Dip into the egg mixture, and then coat evenly in the breadcrumbs. Working in batches, gently drop the coated goat cheese balls into the hot vegetable oil.
- Fry each ball for about 2 minutes, turning over once after 1 minute. The balls should be golden brown. Remove the balls with a slotted spoon, drain, and place on a plate with paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Once all of the balls have been fried, place on a serving plate and drizzle the spicy honey mixture over the goat cheese. Serve immediately with toothpicks.
NUTRITION Per Serving: Calories: 295, Total fat: 11.18g, Cholesterol: 52mg, Carbohydrates: 33.61g, Dietary fiber: 1.21g, Protein: 13.52g, Total sugars: 13.48g, Sodium: 738mg
Tue, April 3, 2012
by Vanessa Maltin Weisbrod filed under