Curried Red Lentils
Gluten-Free ~ Dairy-Free ~ Rice-Free ~ Egg-Free ~ Corn-Free ~ Soy-Free
Yield: 6 servings
1 pound (approx. 2 ¼ cups dry) red lentils
2 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ onion diced
1 garlic clove minced
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons curry
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon grated ginger
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup coconut milk
1 ¼ cups tomato puree
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1. Thoroughly rinse lentils in a mesh strainer until the water runs clear. Drain and add to a medium saucepan along with 2 cups of water.
2. Bring lentils to a boil in the covered saucepan, then simmer, covered, until the lentils are just tender (approximately 20 minutes). Stir occasionally.
3. While lentils are simmering, heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil and sauté onion and garlic (approximately five minutes).
4. In a small bowl, combine turmeric, cumin, curry, chili powder, ginger, and salt. Add to sauté pan with onion and garlic. Stir spices continuously for two minutes.
5. Add coconut milk and tomato puree. Simmer on low heat.
6. When lentils are tender, add lentils and peas to curry mixture in sauté pan and combine thoroughly. Can be served over basmati rice.
NUTRITION: Calories per serving: 367, Total fat: 5.86g, Carbohydrate, by difference: 56.92g, Total dietary fiber: 27.01g, Protein: 22.87g, Total sugars: 4.53g, Sodium: 238mg
Sun, March 25, 2012
by Maureen Stanley filed under