Broccoli & Cauliflower with Parmesan Custard
SERVES 4 TO 6 PREP TIME 30 MIN BAKE 40 MIN
Roasting the broccoli and cauliflower prior to baking the pie adds so much more flavor to this vegetarian pot pie than just baking with raw vegetables.
1 box gluten-free pie crust mix and ingredients listed on box (we used Gluten Free Pantry)
2 cups broccoli florets, roughly chopped
2 cups cauliflower florets, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
½ cup onion, chopped
2 clove garlic, finely diced
⅛ cup dry white wine
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons cornstarch
½ teaspoon of salt free Italian seasoning
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons milk
1. Prepare crust recipe according to box directions, yielding two pie crusts. Place one crust on bottom of 9-inch pie pan. Cover second crust with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for later.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
3. Toss broccoli and cauliflower florets in a mixing bowl with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Place on cookie sheet, spread out evenly. Roast for 10 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven, toss with lemon juice, and set aside.
4. Place a pot over medium heat; melt butter and sauté onions for 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Pour in white wine; cook until volume is reduced by half. Turn heat to low.
5. Combine milk with cornstarch, Italian seasoning, and nutmeg. Whisk together and pour into pot. Simmer for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
6. Stir in grated Parmesan cheese. Add broccoli and cauliflower to pan and stir to coat.
7. Spoon filling into prepared pie crust. Remove second pie crust from refrigerator and roll out. Lay crust on top of filling. Press crust edges together. Brush milk onto top crust and cut an “X” in the top middle of pie. Place in 350 degree oven; bake 30 minutes or until crust has browned.
8. Remove from oven; let sit for 5 minutes. Cut and serve.
Thu, March 22, 2012
by Maureen Stanley filed under