Yield: 4 servings
8 bacon lardons
3 pounds beef tri-tip cubes
2 ounces lard
8 ounces Spanish onions, small dice
8 ounces carrots, small dice
3 ounces cornstarch
2 ounces tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, crushed
32 fluid ounces red burgundy wine
16 fluid ounces veal stock
10 ounces pearl onions
2 ounces butter
2 teaspoons sugar
1 pound white mushrooms, quartered
2 fluid ounces canola oil
1 fluid ounce brandy
1 tablespoon parsley, minced
1. Heat a large sauté pan (preferably one with sides) and add lardons. Render fat and reserve lardons.
2. Caramelize beef cubes in bacon fat, adding additional lard if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Remove beef cubes from pan and reserve. Add diced onions and carrots and cook until caramelized.
4. Add flour or cornstarch and cook 3-4 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook until browned lightly.
5. Add crushed garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.
6. Add red wine and veal stock. Stir well to fully incorporate with flour and vegetables. Bring to a boil and return the beef cubes to the pot. Bring to simmer and add sachet. Simmer until beef is tender, about 2 ½ hours.
7. For the garnish, blanch, shock and peel pearl onions. Heat a small sauté pan and melt the butter. Add onions and sugar. Cook until onions are glazed. Reserve.
8. Saute mushrooms in canola oil, cooking to evaporate the excess moisture. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve.
9. When beef cubes are tender, degrease braising liquid and add reserved lardons, glazed onions, and mushrooms. Adjust the seasoning and sauce consistency. Add brandy and minced parsley.
Sat, July 9, 2011
by Delight Gluten-Free Magazine filed under